Saturday, August 14, 2010

Simple Truths

After a long, restless night of sleep, I awoke determined to have a marvelous day.   The first thing I saw was this view from my hotel window:
Yup, That's Montana
My goal was simple:
Today is going to be a day of honesty, of warmth and joy, and of simple truths.  This is my goal every day, but it's not always on the forefront of my mind. But that changes now, I thought confidently.

How did that work out for me, you ask? Well, I don't think I fully understood how much work would go into such a task.  But I started out with my head in the right place by examining myself to see how I could live simply.

  While brushing my teeth this morning, I couldn't help but to notice how differently my counterpart and I had packed our toiletries.  Sorting through the three bags I need to travel with (one for hair supplies, another for every emergency you can imagine, and the third for actual toiletries, I realized that there was a simple beauty in the way he packed.
Simplicity.
The Opposite of Simplicity.




Granted, he needed to use my toothpaste because he forgot to add his, but the ease with which he could go through the trip was enticing.  Will I stop carrying a cure for every possible ailment or need? Probably not, but I will return to getting everything into one bag.... or die trying. 


The rest of the day was good, but tiring.  Yellowstone is beautiful.  But you already knew or suspected that.  Nature is neat (especially when contained in a park and easily navigated by car). Animals are cool.  Humans... not so much, but the other stuff was great.  

My Favorite Image From Today

Beautiful Yet Foreboding
We took lots of great photos and saw some amazing sights, so the details of the day don't really matter....

Cool Hot Spring


 I still have much to learn about living simply.  But the beautiful images from the day will surely help remind me that there are miracles everywhere. 
 
And you'll be happy to know that we stopped counting black people midday when we had seen over a dozen.  I think the total would have been around 18 or so, but the point is that I wasn't the only one!  So long, circus freak!

2 comments:

  1. Those photos are lovely! The foreboding one is my new desktop background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After this summer's road trip (which has not ended yet), I thought I had learned to pack simply. But how can you pack simply when you're packing for others as well? Certainly, I've greatly reduced the amount of extras but when you mentioned "carrying cures for every possible ailment," I could not help but to envision the first aid kit that I repacked and placed underneath one of the seats in the van. Let me not even get into detail about the bookbag (yes, bookbag) that contains only toiletries! lol

    ReplyDelete